Windows XP Update BITS Fix

December 3rd, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

Problems Addressed:

This script will attempt to fix common problems with the Windows XP Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

• It fixes the cause of several Windows Update stop code problems.
    • It fixes issues with Windows Update time codes not matching the server.
    • It will also fix specific BITS corruption caused by the Symantec SymNRT Removal Tool.
    • The latest version also attempts to repair registry damage done by some viruses.
Version History:
  • Version 2.0 (Latest Release)
    • Includes an even more comprehensive registry fix.
  • Version 1.6 (Updated Release)
    • Includes a more comprehensive registry fix.
  • Version 1.5 (General Release)
Operating systems:
      • Windows XP Home Edition
        • Will fix problems as described in this document.
      • Windows XP Professional Edition
        • Will fix problems as described in this document.
      • Windows 2000
        • Can be run safely and may help with Windows Update problems.

Installation:

Download the WinXP_BITS_Fix_v2.0 Zip file, unzip all files to the same folder on the problem computer and run the batch file. By downloading you confirm your agreement to the disclaimer below.

Disclaimer:
      1. You download and use this batch file at your own risk.
      2. The author cannot be held responsible in any way for your use of this batch file.
      3. Do not download the file if you do not agree with these terms.

Donate and download:

I would like to keep this tool free to use and free from advertising. Therefore a donation of just £1 or $1.50 is suggested for you to access the download links. This helps to cover site costs.

After following the Donate button below you will be linked directly to the download page.

Download and Contents:
      • WinXP_BITS_Fix_v2.0.zip (Version 2.0)
        • Readme.txt
        • WinXP_BITS_Fix_v2.0.bat
        • bits.ini
        • wuauserv.ini
        • regini.exe
      • WinXP_BITS_Fix_v1.6.zip (Version 1.6)
        • Readme.txt
        • WinXP_BITS_Fix_v1.6.bat
        • bits.ini
      • WinXP_BITS_Fix.zip (Version 1.5)
        • Readme.txt
        • WinXP_BITS_Fix.bat

Instructions for use:

1. Run the WinXP_BITS_Fix_v2.0.bat file.
      2. Press a key to start the fix.
      3. The script will halt on errors.
      4. You may be prompted to over-ride existing registry entries.
      5. The program will close automatically 30 seconds after completion.

When the program is complete you can attempt to install Windows Updates from http://update.microsoft.com/

You will need to be logged in as an administrator and using Internet Explorer for this to work.

Tips for effective use:

If you want the whole script to run DO NOT close the window until you see the final message of completion after Step 5. If required you can exit between steps by closing the command window.

The fix consists of five steps:

1. Stopping Services
    2. Repairing Registry Keys
    3. Deleting Corrupted Folders
    4. Registering Driver Files
    5. Starting Services
  1. Mohamed
    June 19th, 2011 at 07:02 | #1

Thanks very much for the Windows XP Update fix. It worked well and was very easy to follow the procedures you listed. It took about 5 mins.Thanks again.

2. Jon
    June 28th, 2011 at 16:12 | #2

This is brilliant, Phil

Thanks for taking the trouble to write it…was banging my head against a brick wall!

The issue appears to have been caused by one of these XP security trojans. There is a special place in hell reserved for whoever writes these things!

3. Rick
    November 3rd, 2011 at 14:03 | #3

You rock thanks it worked great

4. sherry
    December 21st, 2011 at 07:05 | #4

WooHoo!!! Thank you! Fixed!

5. Andreas Källström
    January 21st, 2012 at 10:01 | #5

Thank you! It worked great to fix my problem that “XP Antivirus 2012″ created… :) Saved me many hours of work! Thanks again!

6. March 4th, 2012 at 15:34 | #6

Thanks. Worked great. I tried everything MS said to do and nothing worked. Wished I had found you first.

7. Matt
    March 14th, 2012 at 02:50 | #7

Just brilliant – at last, I’ve found a simple and effective solution to a hoary old XP chestnut. Thank you, thank you.

8. Al
    May 7th, 2012 at 17:34 | #8

That’s great !!! After many failing attempts this worked flawlessly and my old laptop is now getting all of its updates !!! Many thanks for this wonderful tool !!

9. Bob
    June 11th, 2012 at 06:02 | #9

Worked perfectly ! Microsofts Fit-It was useless. This did the trick,
    Thanks

10. KurtisK
    July 2nd, 2012 at 02:00 | #10

Thank You very much! This tool saved me a lot of troubleshooting time.
    Will keep this in my tooklit and tell everyone about it.

11. Clueless
    October 3rd, 2012 at 22:23 | #11

Fabulous!! Solved the problem in a couple of minutes for which I had previuosly spent hours trawling the Web and tried everything including Microsoft fixes. Many thanks!

12. Pierre
    October 4th, 2012 at 23:54 | #12

Well. MS could not correct the problem. You did it in 5 minutes. I seldom write comments on the web, but this time I do.
    Thanks a million.

I donate with a smile and put your website on my favorites.

Merci!

13. David Kindred
    December 2nd, 2012 at 18:22 | #13

Thank you so very much, Phil. I tried so many other fixes without success. I’m grateful to you!

14. cristina marcucci
    December 19th, 2012 at 10:03 | #14

My comment is just the combination of all the comments above! Thanks a lot!

15. January 23rd, 2013 at 01:45 | #15

Nice program and fix. It works and it’s elegant.

16. H. Mack
    January 27th, 2013 at 20:55 | #16

Wow, worked well! With all the above postive comment I agree!

17. Harith najim
    February 24th, 2013 at 14:44 | #17

Hi Phil,

many thanks.. after 3 hours of troubleshooting thee issue. your code fix it .. you made my day.

best regards,

18. Chris C.
    August 12th, 2013 at 03:32 | #18

Thank you for your great utility, it saved me from a lot of grief. Kudos! :-)

19. Megan
    August 27th, 2013 at 18:58 | #19

Fantastic! I’ve been trying to fix this for 3 days. Worked perfectly.

20. pete
    October 2nd, 2013 at 00:52 | #20

Thank you!!! 3 days trying to figure this out wish i saw this 1st

21. ck
    October 2nd, 2013 at 02:06 | #21

another command to add to the batch file :
    sc config bits type= own

22. October 2nd, 2013 at 03:11 | #22

@ck
    Good idea, I will add this in version 2.0 – coming soon!

23. Kjell Sundin
    October 2nd, 2013 at 07:14 | #23

Thank You!
    For a great fix, i have been struggling with this for days, and now after 30 sec run of your fix it works.

24. John Smith
    October 27th, 2013 at 18:56 | #24

Worked. Thanks a lot!

But: BITS shows up in English instead of native language in services.msc

25. Sanya44
    November 3rd, 2013 at 12:42 | #25

Thank you! Fixed!

26. John
    November 7th, 2013 at 22:50 | #26

Thanks yet again – worked great !!!

27. milo
    November 23rd, 2013 at 11:32 | #27

OMG man, thx for this. I lost 4 hours searching the couse of not working update, non ms fix-it tools could do what your solution did in one min. Great!

28. Peter
    November 30th, 2013 at 06:26 | #28

Thank You Phil.
    Your tool has fixed what I have been trying to fix for a couple of weeks and only took a few minutes to achieve it. MS should pay you for this fix as their fixes are useless. Well done and thanks you are a life saver

29. John
    December 5th, 2013 at 04:14 | #29

Thanks Phil.
    If you are having trouble with Windows Updates and Microsoft Security Essentials not up dating, after doing a fresh install of XP, and you run into problems, give this tool a try :-)
    Well worth the donation via paypal.

30. Samuel Fauteck
    December 7th, 2013 at 21:02 | #30

Outstanding work Phil !! Thank you VERY much. Blessings.

31. Frank
    December 8th, 2013 at 00:22 | #31

Hi Phil,
    The download link was not working. So I donated via paypal thinking this may give me a good link. It did not. Can you tell me how to download this file. Looking for the BITS.

32. December 8th, 2013 at 16:57 | #32

@Wouter
    Hi Frank,

There is a link to the download from Paypal on the page you see after making a donation. Don’t worry though I sent you an e-mail with the link in so you don’t need to donate again. Any problems just leave another comment or send me an e-mail. Thanks for getting in touch and for making a donation.

Kind regards,
    Phil

33. Marie
    December 8th, 2013 at 17:30 | #33

I ran the Fix and now Automatic Updates and BITS are showing up in services. Yay! However I ran Windows Update and it seems to be stuck. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve tried just about everything. It seems to be downloading something, just the list of updates is not showing up.

34. Marie
    December 9th, 2013 at 16:02 | #34

An update: I downloaded the new securities for IE8 (KB2510531, KB2797052, KB2799329, KB2888505) and Microsoft Framework 3.5 SP1. Don’t know what it did, but all the updates downloaded. Hope this helps.

35. Ted L
    December 11th, 2013 at 05:26 | #35

Hi Phil. You are a genius. I spent four frustrating hours trying to fix XP Update. Your great program did it in less than 2 minutes.

GREAT WORK!

Cheers,
    Ted

36. Brian Huddart
    December 11th, 2013 at 16:10 | #36

Phil
    Another set of updates issued today from Microsoft and automatic updates stops working again. Since I successfully used v1.6 previously, went back to your site and downloaded latest version (v2.0). Downloaded and ran all steps. When I try to run Windows Update, it says ” Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

When I select this, it just sits on “Download and install the latest updating software Registering 100% …” for ages.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, though I’m not particularly technical.

Is this Microsoft driving XP users away?

37. December 12th, 2013 at 10:32 | #37

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately if files needed for BITS are missing my fix isn’t able to replace them. However, you can download and reinstall the files from Microsoft. See this previous comment.

Once the files are reinstalled run the BITS fix again and give Windows updates another try. Hope this helps!

Phil

38. Brian
    December 12th, 2013 at 12:55 | #38

@Phil
    Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when I tried to download this, it said the Service Pack was newer than the update and I had no need to install.

39. December 13th, 2013 at 00:15 | #39

@Brian
    Hi Brian,

In that case I’d try using the System File Checker tool to repair the missing files. This Microsoft article applies to Windows Vista and above but the command is the same for XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You may be prompted to insert your original Windows XP disk as part of the process.

Good luck!
    Phil

40. Brian
    December 13th, 2013 at 07:43 | #40

Phil

I’m afraid this has worn me out! I’ve spent literally hours trying to run all the suggested changes currently swamping the internet, and for a novice this is nervewracking. It looks as though the recent XP updates have messed up a lot of systems. Everything I do, I still get an “error 126 – the specified module could not be found” when I try to start Automatic Updates in services.msc.
    When I ran the System File Checker, it shuffled all the desktop icons, but I couldn’t find any log and it certainly isn’t fixed. Do I just give up, stop trying to do updates and start looking for a Windows 8 laptop (yuck)? Presumably would have to do it soon anyway (April support cut-off).

Regards – a very tired, pissed-off novice.

41. December 13th, 2013 at 08:28 | #41

@Brian
    Hi Brian, to answer your question, it would be a good idea to move to Windows 7 or 8 before Microsoft withdraw support for XP. However, coming back to the problem on your XP machine, the error you mentioned may actually refer to another Windows service (not BITS). If may be worth trying the steps outlined in this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922376
    Kind regards,
    Phil

42. zeller
    December 13th, 2013 at 10:15 | #42

All 5 step done. Stating windows update and svchost.exe again 100%.

43. Les
    December 13th, 2013 at 12:57 | #43

Hi Phil,
    Donated and ran ver 2.0 fix. BITS appeared in services. Ran Update and had about 18-19 fixes.
    Seemed to be OK, running through them displaying message Done! as it progressed. Got up into double figures, moved away from PC and came back to find all fixes had failed with message 0×80246008 for all of them. ANy advice?

Regards,

Les

44. December 13th, 2013 at 19:44 | #44

Hi Les,

That error code is documented by Microsoft here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

Most of the resolution options are covered by my version 2.0 fix but you could give the following a try:

1) Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2) Type the following command, and then press ENTER: (you can also copy this and paste this into the command prompt via right mouse click)

sc sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

3) Run my BITS fix v2.0 again.
    4) Try Windows Updates again.

Kind regards,
    Phil

45. Jun
    December 14th, 2013 at 04:33 | #45

I’ve downloaded 2.0 and ran it on my XP SP3 pro, after it finished. BITS still won’t start.
    I then rebooted and BITs service disappeared!

I googled and found this command:
    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

It asked me for files in I386 folder on XP SP3 Pro, i provided the files. The service was installed but set to manual. I then changed it to auto, and it was able to start.

46. L. Bradford
    December 14th, 2013 at 17:05 | #46

Alas I am now a beleiver! AFTER a reboot the Dec Microsoft fixes downloaded & installed nicely. Happy Holidays!

47. Marc Facer
    December 15th, 2013 at 04:56 | #47

Bloody brilliant – I was doing a fresh install & this service was corrupted – spent hours on it until I came across this

48. zdenek
    December 17th, 2013 at 17:08 | #48

Hey man u are my hero, i have wasted lots of time and u save me. thx

49. David Grenfell
    December 18th, 2013 at 01:54 | #49

You are my hero. I ran your bits fix on my office computer and it immediately repaired the damage I had and downloaded latest updates in a matter of minutes, not hours or days like it was before.

I was skepticle of making a “donation” before I got the product, but took the chance and am glad I did.

Live long and prosper.

50. Phil
    December 18th, 2013 at 11:02 | #50

Phil, You saved the last remaining hair on my head. Thanks, lifesaver. Will keep monitoring but seems to have worked a treat. Well worth a buck!

Comment pages